With the Belubula River now almost dry, remnants of the first footbridge at Canowindra are visible beneath the Swinging Bridge.
After years of agitation from South Canowindra residents, a low-level footbridge was built at the end of Finn’s Lane to give pedestrian access to Canowindra business centre.
It was completed early in 1928 and Waugoola Shire, Boree Shire and local residents financed it in equal thirds.
At that time, South Canowindra was a separate village in Waugoola Shire. For a few brief years, the footbridge doubled as a diving platform for the swimming hole below but was washed away by the big flood of 1934.
In 1938 a new suspension bridge was built, known to locals as the Swinging Bridge. It has been modified and strengthened over the years to withstand the floods that were once such regular occurrences at Canowindra.
Article by Dorothy Balcomb and photos by Roy Tranter, Canowindra Historical Society & Museum Inc.