Tigers thump Bears to open 2017 account

Andrew Gallard.
Andrew Gallard.

The Canowindra Tigers recorded a comfortable round six Woodbridge Cup victory against Burrnagong on Sunday afternoon, marking the side’s first win of the season.

The Tigers piled on 42 points in a much improved performance at Tom Clyburn Oval, while restricting the Bears to just one converted try.

Focus was on completing sets, urgency with kick chases and defensive line speed, something coach Barry Traves was pleased with throughout the 80 minutes.

“In the first half the Tigers achieved this very well.  Many times we were attacking their line but Burrangong had some good scrambling defence and stopped a lot of scoring opportunities,” he said.

Canowindra bounced to an 18 point lead at halftime courtesy of tries to Jayden Brown, Jamie Grant and Bailey Cain.

Traves said he was mostly pleased with his side’s patience in attack during the first 40 minutes.

The visitors closed the margin to 12 points moments into the second period, taking advantage of a lost ball while the Tigers were in attacking territory.

Both sides struggled through 20 minutes from the restart, Canowindra conceding a number of penalties which piled on unnecessary pressure.

Momentum swung in favour of the Tigers when Brydon Hughes played his brother Curtis through the Bears’ line with a nice inside ball.

From there Canowindra put on a further 18 unanswered points.

Marika bagged a double, one a remarkable individual try, and kicked four goals to be recognised as the players’ player.

Andrew Gallard continued his form and was awarded three points, Brydon Hughes fired at five-eight picking up two points and Marika and Tim Wythes shared one point.

“To their credit they dug deep,” coach Barry Traves said.

The victory puts the Tigers in good stead for this weekend’s tough away trip to Peak Hill.

Traves encourages the Tigers to continue making training and use the momentum they gathered from Sunday into the next weeks.

Meanwhile league tag also notched their first win, defeating the Bears 28-20.