It will be another month before residents evacuated from a structurally damaged Sydney building are allowed back into their homes, with owners voting to pay for a $1 million special levy contingency fund.
Mascot Towers, in the city's south, was evacuated on June 14 after engineers became concerned about continued cracking in the primary support structure and facade masonry of the 10-year-old building on Bourke Street.
Almost a week after the evacuation, engineers say while there are some signs the complex is "stabilising", there is no immediate prospect of residents reoccupying Mascot Towers within the next month.
On Thursday more than 100 owners met at the Holiday Inn in Mascot and a clear majority of 94 per cent voted to pay for the $1 million levy .
For owner Brian Tucker the decision was a no-brainer.
"There's not much choice," he told reporters.
"It was a pretty overwhelming vote. We just want to see everyone back in the building."
MyPlace estate agent John Higgins represents 12 owners in the building, including some who flew from overseas to attend Thursday's meeting.
"I've got a few residents here that can hang on a month, I've got others here that say they can't afford another week," he told reporters.
Mr Higgins said he would encourage owners to pay what it takes to fix the building rather than have it sitting empty while lawsuits drag out.
"It's so important to get a building back up to speed," he said.
At another Mascot hotel tenants of the building met to discuss their own raft of concerns.
Highest on their list of issues was the need to have more than 30 minutes to access their homes when allowed back into the building to retrieve items.
One woman was concerned about her goldfish that had been left alone in the building for a week.
The meeting heard some landlords had already told their tenants they no longer needed to pay rent, and had refunded their bonds.
Engineers are cautiously optimistic that residents in the "red zone" of the apartment complex - a previously non-accessible area - will be able to recover some belongings by late next week.
Mascot Towers media liaison Patrick McGuire said engineers had found enough evidence to confirm that movement and cracking in the building had continued in some parts.
"We can't give an exact date on when the cause will be identified, but we can advise that the engineers are going to need another week at the minimum to provide findings that have more substance," he said in a statement.
A second firm of engineers has been appointed to review current assessments.
Australian Associated Press