Another regional event has fallen to the COVID-19 pandemic with Canowindra's Baroquefest being postponed until 2021.
(min cost $8)
Login or signup to continue reading
Chairman of Canowindra Fine Music Inc and Baroquefest, Richard Statham said they had only recently decided to cancel the event.
"We have decided to not put it on this year, there's so much uncertainty especially with Victoria going the way it is," he said.
"So we've just deferred it until the same dates next year, September 17 to September 19.
READ MORE: Drive-through COVID-19 testing at Canowindra
"We met via telephone meetings over the last week or two, we tried to hang on as long as we could."
Mr Statham said the committee had been at a stage to sign contracts with musicians, but it would have complicated matters if they then had to cancel the event later.
"We had musicians lined up ready to sign contracts for this year, but if we went ahead with that we'd have to update the website and start ticket sales," he said.
"So then if it came to the crunch and had to cancel, we'd have to refund the money, so decided we won't do it this year.
"We know from the general media the arts and entertainment sector has suffered more than most.
"People like the Australian Brandenburg Orchestra and Australian Chamber Orchestra have been doing Zoom events, YouTube and performing from home, which must be hard, but they are dong their best."
He said the committee hadn't ruled out having a one off event this year and the musicians originally lined up for 2020 were keen come in 2021.
"We might do a one off concert with one of the groups that were looking at coming," he said.
"But we haven't really scheduled anything, we'll see what pans out by spring.
"Andrew Baker, who is a violin teacher in Orange, is our musical director and liaises with the musicians has them keen to come.
"We have been turning musicians away the last year or two because a lot of them want to come here, they are quite high profile groups some of them."
The Baroquefest had recently been a recipient of a $10,000 Micro Event Fund grant from Destination NSW to deliver the festival in 2020.
However Mr Statham said they had been informed that grant could carry over into 2021.
"Fortunately Destination NSW said if we have to do that (cancel), it (the grant) will carry over," he said.
"Think positive I'm sure this crisis will be over by early next year if not sooner, we are just keen to keep it going.
"The state government is generous, the Orange Regional Arts Foundation usually gives us some funding and Cabonne Council gives us a bit for production, so we are optimistic it will carry on well into the future."
Sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date.