Canowindra's Alicia Earsman stars in Rams' 12-all draw with Colts

Canowindra's Alicia Earsman is starring for the Western Rams.

Canowindra's Alicia Earsman is starring for the Western Rams.

Canowindra's Alicia Earsman stamped her mark on the Women's Country Championship opening round, with the Western Rams half showcasing big hits defensively and silky hands and kicking prowess in attack.

The Rams took the Colts to a 12-all draw in the competition's opening round at Kippax Oval, Canberra on Sunday.

The Rams started poorly, making a mistake on their first carry just seconds into the match, giving the Colts an early attacking opportunity.

From the resulting scrum, the Colts took two tackles before a flat ball from their five-eighth Jacinta Williams to Elly Hazelton opened their account just a minute in before halfback Hollie Massey added the extra points.

With the Rams caught not square at marker, the Colts were given more early field possession, however it was squandered, with the Colts kicking the ball dead, giving the Rams a relieving seven tackle set.

The Rams used this to get within 30m of Colts' line before a forward pass handed possession back to the locals.

A willingness to run the ball, plus a high shot from the Colts, brought the Rams close but they were unable to capitilise on this possession.

Likewise, a Colts break away threatened to turn into a try as they raced from 15m out from their line to the Rams' 40, however stunning Earsman chase cut down Hazelton before she could go any further.

Disappointingly though, Earsman was stung for holding in the tackle and the Colts were granted a fresh set just 30m out following the touch finder.

A charging Samara Afele for the Colts threatened to score but the Rams muscled up in defence, holding her out and defusing the rest of the set.

A clearing kick from Earsman on her 40m line, expertly chased by the kicker herself, held up on the Colts' line, putting fullback Tamika Millard under pressure and tackled 5m out.

Solid defence forced the Colts to kick earl,y giving the Rams the ball back 15m inside their half.

Hard running and another high shot from the Colts gave the Rams a full set 15m out.

Earsman used the opportunity given to them to set up a fantastic try for Nickita Kirby.

Carrying defenders, Earsman offloaded to Kirby for her to cross the stripe, giving the Rams their first points, however a stabbing kick from hooker Zarlia Griffiths wasn't able to add the extra points.

The Rams wasted no time in their kickoff return, with long ball to Lala Lautaimi after three tackles shifting play to the left, followed by short ball to Molly Hoswell breaking the Colts open.

Hoswell looked certain to score in the corner but was forced back inside and into the arms of Colts' tacklers.

She was quick to get the hands free though, offloading back to Lautaimi for the Rams' second try and the lead 8-6, 17 minutes in.

Unfortunately Griffiths wasn't able to add the extras, leaving it at a two point game.

Both sides went set for set for the next seven minutes before a fleet footed Heidi Regan made a break for the Colts' try line from her own 10.

Regan beat seven of the Colts to reach 25m out before being held down in the tackle, denying her a quick play the ball with the opposition line scattered, drawing the penalty.

This sparked a fire under the Rams, who spent the final five minutes of the half attacking the Colts' line repeatedly and only narrowly being held out until the siren.

The Colts suffered some bad luck coming back from the break with three players taken off injured through head knocks in the opening minutes.

Some error riddled sets kept the ball stuck on the Rams' line until a dash from dummy half by Bulou Baravilala handed the Colts the lead, with Massey adding the extra points and taking it to 8-12.

The Rams returned fire though, managing to force themselves to the Colts' 20m line before the quarter drinks break.

On the return, the Rams pushed the Colts to their line before a dummy half drive handed Molly Hoswell the next points, tying the match with 12 minutes remaining.

Unfortunately, with the wind picking up, Griffiths was unable to add the extra points needed for the win.

It was back to back football after that, with the Colts having more chances to close the game out, however they were unable to capitalise and the match ended in a draw.

Our journalists work hard to provide local, up-to-date news to the community. This is how you can access our trusted content:


Follow us on Twitter:@newscanowindra